Thursday, June 23, 2011

In the name of Progress

I have recently changed up my workouts because I became stagnant and no longer saw progress. So, although three early morning spin classes and a few runs each week were great, I decided to change things up a bit. I am now following a half marathon training program in order to get me ready to race in the fall, as well as beginning a serious hot-n-heavy weight program. (hot-n-heavy for me, at least.)

To be honest with you, all this change is uncomfortable. It's uncomfortable physically for obvious reasons, but also mentally. I battle thoughts, like "am I really ready for this?", or "I don't think I can do this today." On my first speed work day with my running group, none of us expected it to be so hard, and I think we all were a little unsettled with the change in routine.

I'm sure you've heard the saying that goes something like, "if you do what what you've always done, you're gonna get what you've always gotten". In terms of your physical body, you won't continue to grow and get stronger by doing what has become easy and comfortable for your body.

This is true in our everyday lives as well. We must raise the bar every now and then- spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. We won't grow by holding onto the same old behaviors and attitudes- gossiping, bad attitudes, negativity, worry, fear, or whatever it is holding us back.

Both physically and mentally, changing it up is not easy, but it will be worth it. Every challenge will make you stronger! And, after you've done the hard, uphill part, take a moment and rest at the top. This bible tells us to "be still [rest] and know that I am God." Everything that I have read tells me that it is in the rest period that you gain the most physical strength. And, I know from experience that the same is true of our spiritual lives. So, in the name of progress, raise the bar, switch it up, and then REST.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am off to enjoy my day of rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment